Friday, April 04, 2008

God Revealed Friday Five

Sally at RevGals writes, "With this Sunday's gospel reading in mind, that wonderful revelation of Christ to the companions on the Emmaus road. I wonder where you might have been surprised by God's revelation recently.

So with no further waffle I offer you this weeks Friday 5:

How has God revealed him/herself to you in a:"

1. Book
I love books. I love words. I cannot think of a single book to answer this questions. However, in recent years, I've started to listen to books on tape. In fact, for my Lenten discipline last year, I listened to the entire Bible on CD whenever I was in my car. I think God is revealed more when I just surround myself with beautiful words--whether those are from the Bible, or fluff fiction reading, or serious reading, or blogs, or...

2.Film
I don't watch a lot of movies, but after much thought, one came to mind. And I fully admit that it's a bit of a stretch, but my answer is The Terminal with Tom Hanks. Not a great cinematic masterpiece, but a decent movie. Within weeks of it coming out (maybe the Friday it came out), I was really struggling with writing a sermon. By Friday afternoon, I had zilch, nada, nothing to even begin to write a sermon with. So my husband and I went to a movie--The Terminal. I was determined that somehow it was going to relate--or if not, at least I'd be able to concentrate on sermonizing when the movie was over. I'm a lectionary preacher and one of the texts was 'the fruit of the Spirit.' I used the movie and Viktor (Tom Hank's character) as an example of living out these fruits. Viktor was led to live these fruits out in his life as he was guided and motivated by a promise that he made to his father. We, as Christians, are called to live out these fruits as we too are guided and motivated by a promise, but in our case, it's the promise that God makes to us, the promise of everlasting love. Everytime I think of the movie, I think of that too.

3. Song
Too many to count...mostly hymns, but many other songs too.

4. Another person
It seems to be my goal to make every Friday Five or post somehow about my baby! But really, being pregnant and carrying this other person in my body has shown me God in more ways that I could ever have thought possible.

5. Creation
This one deserves its own post--maybe someday. The short version is that in the midst of some difficult times, God wiped my tears off my face--figuratively and literally through the wonder of creation.

2 comments:

RevAnne said...

Great #5. Great play all around.

RevDrKate said...

Yeah, been there on #5 as well.