Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Here's to Becoming Healthier?

I'm not really much of a resolution maker, at least not particularly in relationship to the beginning of a new year. But this year, my husband and I decided that we need to be healthier. Neither of us are horribly unhealthy; we don't get sick much or have major health problems. Both of us are a few pounds overweight, but not outrageously so. We both want our clothes to fit right again.

So this is what we've tried to do:
1. Eliminate the beloved Pepsi products from our life. (Neither of us can drink diet and I'm at high risk for osteoporosis which caffeine and carbonation are bad for. The only thing going for me is that I don't and have never smoked.)
2. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
3. Eat at home more so that we eat less fat, grease, and otherwise bad for you stuff.
4. Exercise every day.

We started on January 2nd and have done fairly well.

I've had these results:
1. A sore throat and snuffly nose
2. A headache just about every day
3. An upset tummy the past few days
4. A back so out of whack that it will take at least 3 visits to the chiropractor this week to get me straightened out. (The shooty, tingling pain down the leg is no good.)

So--am I becoming healthier? Or should I go back to eating unhealthfully and being a slug?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, a gross virus is making the rounds here. I went and WORKED OUT on the 2nd of January and by nightfall I was terribly ill. This seemed so unfair!

Really, your body is probably saying, "Hey! Go back to that other stuff!" It'll get used to the new healthier habits.

And if not...Pepsi will always be there!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I followed you here from more cows than people. I'm doing a little research/activity with ordained clergy women under 35, and you seem to be somebody I missed in my blog trolling. If you'd like to be involved, please email me at:
susan.olson@yale.edu
and I'll tell you more!