Friday, February 26, 2010

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Okay--so 2 out of 3 readers want to know what's going on with me and a possible new call. And this is a lovely procrastination tool for the sermon that doesn't seem to want to get written for this weekend.

A congregation about 45 minutes from here will be voting whether or not to extend me a call on Sunday, March 7th. Their proposal for compensation was well below synod guidelines and even more below what I'm receiving in my current setting. (Because of insurance coverage costs.) My hubby and I met with them and proposed a middle ground--I took him with, it was ridiculous not to--we make financial decisions together and it would have delayed the process to have to talk to him before agreeing. So, I still would be making less than here/less than guidelines, but Baby Girl would have insurance coverage along with me and we think the 'quality of life' benefits would outweigh the cost. And Hubby could keep his job though we'd move closer to the new place. (He currently drives about 15-20 minutes in the direction of the new place from where we are now.) So, this tiny, struggling financially congregation will be voting on calling me AND a salary package bigger than they had budgeted for. So...we'll see.

And I'm okay because lots of things make it seem like it will happen, though it's by no means a done deal. And, if it doesn't happen, Hubby is committed to doing everything in his power to get a new job for himself to get me out of here!

So...there you have it. Now to the sermon for this weekend! Brilliant ideas on that are welcome! Somehow I've never preached on this particular Sunday of the church year, so I really have nothing.


Sarah S-D said...

blessings as you wait for the vote! may the right thing, whatever that is, transpire.

and... what's your text? i might have something i could share...

Songbird said...

So excited for you!

Jessica said...

Thanks for the update. I am really happy that this possibility is on the horizon. I'm also glad that they were able to be a little bit flexible with salary and insurance (baby girl needs good medical care!!).

I'll pray for good decision-making on the 7th!! Your quality of life is very important to me. :-)

Jessica said...

Also, the geography seems really good! It would be great if you and hubby could both live relatively close to your jobs. :-)