Friday, May 30, 2008

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five ~ Garage Sale

Since will smama is preparing for a joint garage sale with her parents, and Songbird's church had a Yard and Plant Sale last Saturday, we have five enormously important questions we hope you will answer:

1) Are you a garage saler?
I'm not really a garage saler--now. Growing up my family always had one or two a year. We would do them jointly with other families and I loved them! I loved sitting at the table taking money, and especially earning some of my own. I think my parents relished the chance for my sister and I to get rid of stuff, so they let us earn some money for the items we put out. (We had a fairly detailed labeling system to determine who received what profits.) My mom would often take us with her too as we went to many garage sales. I don't remember much stuff making its way home though. I guess it was cheap entertainment--and a chance for us kids to spend the few bucks we made at our own sale.

2) If so, are you an immediate buyer or a risk taker who comes back later when prices are lower?
I'm more likely to be an immediate buyer--if I even go out.

3) Seriously, if you're not a garage saler, you are probably not going to want to play this one.
(That wasn't really #3.)
3) This is the real #3: What's the best treasure you've found at a yard or garage sale?
Can't think of one--so I'll say the best treasure that we had at our yard sales was the "Free Box"--full of things like Happy Meal Toys and random junk that kids love. It keeps kids occupied and happy while parents really look at what's for sale.

4)If you've done one yourself, at church or at home, was it worth the effort?
Now that I'm an adult, I don't think it's worth the effort.

5) Can you bring yourself to haggle?
I hate haggling, so I won't do it. My husband would be likely to though! So I'd just have to bring him along.

BONUS: For the true aficionado: Please discuss the impact of Ebay, Craig's List, Freecycle, etc... on the church or home yard/garage sale.
What I like about these options as a buyer is being able to look for just what I want without having to go to 18 different places in hopes they will have it.

3 comments:

RevDrKate said...

Good play! I think I am going to have to check out Freecycle and Craig's list, they sound more interesting than schlepping around to sales.

Unknown said...

I think that option of searching online rather than driving around is going to look better and better with the current gas prices!

Terri said...

Oh, the free box is a great idea and kid pleaser!